There are many calcium compounds on the market today. However, many of them contain calcium carbonate, sulfate, nitrate, phosphate, oxalate, citrate, and/or chloride, some of which are either acidic in solution or are hard to work with. Calcium lactate is a viable organic alternative to calcium chloride or carbonate Calcium lactate pentahydrate is a non-toxic, odorless, non-hazardous, and user-friendly salt of calcium and lactic acid. Lactic acid is a versatile alpha-hydroxy acid with a carboxylate and hydroxyl groups while calcium ions are important to human health, especially bone health [Orchard T. S., Am. J. Clin. Nutri., 2014, 99(4), 926-933]. The versatile chemical composition is utilized in medicinal, feed additives, textile, cosmetic, and agricultural applications. Exemplary uses include:
• shelf-life preservation and/or extending freshness of perishable products.
• tissue-reinforcement in various processed agricultural products and pickled products.
• preparation of calcium supplement products for alleviating calcium deficiency.
• texturing agent for food preparations
• antimicrobial preservative