Blue transferware image includes the Savannah Academy in the center surrounded by Grade School No. 1, Northwest Corner Stores, Presbyterian Church, United Presbyterian Church, Methodist Church and the Bandstand.
Backstamp: 1818 - Savannah Ohio - 1968
A village of 370, was laid out on Christmas Day 1818, by a 19 year old lad, John Haney. It was first called Vermillion because of its proximity to the Vermillion Lakes, now called Savannah Lakes. It was also nicknamed Haneytown; but the name changed to Savannah on April 12, 1939.
Most of the early settlers were Scotch-Irish. Rev. Alexander Scott, a Presbyterian minister, established the Academy in 1856. Routs 60 and 250, which pass through the village was once called the Milan Wheat Trail, for the grain was hauled from this region to the Milan Mill.
Kettlesprings Kilns Alliance Ohio 1686-S